The game of blackjack has been around for hundreds of years, but over those years it has continuously evolved on its way to becoming the game we all know and love today: A card game where the aim is to get as close to the winning value of 21, without going over – going ‘bust’.
Players start with two cards and can ask for more if they want as they try to get closer to the goal. The game gets its name from the special combination of a black jack and the ace of spades, which used to pay a special winning rate. Nowadays, any combination of an ace and a picture card or ten, will pay an increased prize.
From the French Royal Court to the bars of New Orleans, and now into the online world, the way we play blackjack is still changing – mainly due to the incorporation of different technologies. The game is now more popular than ever, with millions of online gamers playing blackjack all over the world.
Online = Easy
Online blackjack has made the game much more accessible because players no longer have to travel for a game; they can log on at home using a computer, tablet or smartphone. Bringing casino games to people wherever and whenever they want to play them has introduced a whole new generation of players to blackjack.
Statistics show that it is mainly young adults who are gambling online. These are people who have grown up with computers and advanced technology and are more likely to choose to do things online. The ease of access to online casinos has helped to increase the popularity of casino games, including blackjack.
Why Play Blackjack Online?
But has the influence of technology made the game better or worse? Here are some of the advantages of playing blackjack online.
- Variety: There are hundreds of online casinos offering blackjack games, as well as free-to-play sites and apps which don’t let you win real money, but also don’t require you to pay for the games. The best sites, like 888 blackjack, offer games with a variety of stakes to cater for everybody’s tastes.
- Bonuses: Online casinos also offer welcome bonuses which reward players for signing up with free money to spend on their online games. This is a perk you won’t find in brick-and-mortar casinos, yet another good reason to switch to playing blackjack online.
- Security: All financial transactions with the online casinos are encoded, making it impossible for hackers to intercept your money. And good casinos will offer a range of payment options to make deposits even more secure, like online wallets and cryptocurrencies.
- Mobile: Online casinos can be played on a smartphone, either using the browser window or by downloading the corresponding app. This means blackjack fans can grab a quick game wherever they are, letting them take advantage of a commute, lunch break, or waiting time.
- Accessibility: Online casinos are available 24-hours a day, which makes them perfect for people who keep unusual hours or have their leisure time later in the evening. Social options for irregular hours are few and far between, and the ability to meet friends online and play games together, wherever they are in the world and no matter what time it is, is important to help people stay connected.
The Live Blackjack Revolution
One downside of playing blackjack online is that players miss the social element of sitting at a table and interacting with the dealer and fellow players. Online casinos often include chatrooms and the ability to join a table with friends, but it isn’t the same as having face-to-face conversations.
This is where Live Blackjack has proved to be the biggest hit of the last few years. Technology has developed so that internet speeds are now fast enough to enable real-time streaming of high-quality videos, and online casinos have used this technology to develop a range of live casino games. Instead of using random number generator (RNG) software to deal digital cards, they employ real dealers who broadcast from real casino tables.
These live dealers add an air of authenticity to the game, as many players like the way a real deck draws, as opposed to RNGs which can repeat the same cards in the following game. The dealers can also chat to the players at home, offer advice and give tips on how to improve their game – just like you would find in a land-based casino. While the dealers cannot see or hear the players at home, they can read typed messages from private chats, and respond accordingly.
Now that online casinos have found a way to reintroduce the social aspect of blackjack, there’s no reason not to give online gaming a try!
The addition of technology has had positive effects on much of modern life, and gaming and relaxation is no exception. When life makes it difficult to arrange in-person get togethers, the internet offers a decent alternative. Online blackjack plays exactly the same way as casino blackjack, but with high-definition graphics, more secure transactions, and better bonuses. It’s safe to say that the game of blackjack has been totally transformed for the better by modern technology.