September 17, 2022 01:14
Kyrgyzstan officials said on Friday that at least 24 people were killed in the recent border clashes with Tajikistan.
“24 bodies have been brought to health institutions in the Batken region” in the southwest of the country, said a statement issued by the Ministry of Health.
The border guards of Kyrgyzstan announced, earlier on Friday, the outbreak of “violent battles” with Tajikistan, adding that it had monitored the movement of more Tajik forces and equipment towards the border.
The Guard said, in a statement, that its forces continue to repel the Tajik attacks.
Each of the two countries accused the other of starting fighting in a disputed area despite announcing that they had reached a ceasefire agreement.
In a separate report, the RIA quoted the head of Kyrgyzstan’s State Committee for National Security as saying that the military casualties were heavy.
The border guards in Kyrgyzstan accused Tajikistan, earlier on Friday, of resuming firing hours after the announcement of a truce agreement.
Earlier Friday, the presidential office in Kyrgyzstan said that President Sadir Jabarov and Tajik President Emomali Rahmon agreed, during a meeting in Uzbekistan, to a ceasefire and the withdrawal of forces after bloody clashes on the borders of the two countries.
At that time, the authorities in Tajikistan confirmed that the two countries had reached a ceasefire agreement.
#Kyrgyzstan #killed #fighting #Tajikistan
Leave a Reply