Fernández’s doctors and his family have confirmed that the artist’s state of health is “serious but stable” and are moving away from speculation about his death. The 81-year-old singer suffered an accidental fall that injured his cervical vertebrae and kept him in intensive care.
This August 10 the mariachis are silent. The ranchera music idol Vicente Fernández, 81, is “serious but stable,” said his medical team after an emergency surgery to which he was subjected after suffering a fall in the room of his ranch in Guadalajara.
“The current state of Don Vicente Fernández is, without a doubt, serious but stable, as is the sequence of the trauma caused by the fall itself that caused a spinal cord injury to the spinal column,” the doctors’ statement reads.
The family version indicates that the artist suffered an accidental fall in the room of his private ranch Los Tres Potrillos, located in western Mexico, and was transferred from the emergency room to a hospital where he is still in intensive care after surgery. According to doctors, the singer is currently assisted to breathe and is given “critical patient care.”
“As they saw in the medical part, the report is very clear, it is specified that it is responding very well and we are happy with how it has progressed,” said his son Vicente Fernández Jr, who asked journalists to clarify rumors about the alleged death of the singer.
“Do your homework and give clear information, this is how you differ from good reporters and good television stations, they are made up because of that news. We are not the only ones who have experienced that type of news,” said the singer’s son as response to various speculations about the death of the artist that have circulated in the media in recent hours.
Fernández Jr clarified that family members should take turns visiting the family patriarch due to the pandemic. “It has all its precautionary and security measures, for that reason we can enter a little under all the security measures that the state of Jalisco is saying,” he added.
The so-called ‘Charro de Huentitán’, in honor of the place where he was born, injured his cervical vertebrae during the fall on Friday, August 6 and several rehabilitation sessions await him to regain his functions. Doctors perform scans and tests to define what the next steps will be to take.
“It is a matter of accident,” say his relatives
“It was a fall, but it’s okay, it’s a matter of an accident. He slipped and fell. We are scared because it was no wonder, that’s how accidents are, but everything is going well,” his son Vicente told local media. outside the hospital.
“We love you, Tata. You are the strength of all,” wrote Camila Fernández, granddaughter of the artist and daughter of fellow singer Alejandro Fernández, on her Instagram profile. Likewise, Alejandro Fernández, interpreter of songs such as ‘I dedicated myself to losing you’, hung a photograph with his father with the message “I love you, pa”. Another member of the family to express their solidarity was Alex Fernández, the singer’s grandson, who published another photograph with the text: “You are a warrior, Tata. I love you.”
The interpreter of ‘Divine Women’ had already visited the hospital this year. In July he suffered a severe urinary infection that kept him in care for two days. Fernández overcame prostate cancer in 2002. Then, in 2012, they removed a tumor in his liver and the following year a thrombosis caused him to lose his voice. In 2015, he underwent surgery to remove three abdominal hernias.
In 2016 the singer announced his retirement from the stage to dedicate himself to his ranch, where he usually receives fans of his mega musical career, with whom he often shares and photographs. Despite being far from the spotlight, ‘Chente’, as he is also called, is active on social media and has recorded songs and specials with his children and grandchildren, who seek to continue his musical legacy.
Hours before the family reported on the incident, Vicente Fernández had published a message on his Instagram account that caused alarm among his followers and was followed by multiple speculations about his health. “Do not give up on your dreams. Dedicating myself in this life to sing was the best decision I could make … #chentesiguesiendoelrey”.
The iconic career of Vicente Fernández
Fernández was born on February 17, 1940 in a town called Huentitán El Alto, in Jalisco, Mexico. He is the son of rancher Ramón Fernández and Paula Gómez. His official biography shows that his artistic talent woke up at the age of six, inspired by the films of the then idol Pedro Infante.
At age 14 and after winning a contest in Guadalajara, he began his musical career, singing at weddings and family activities. He joined Pepe Mendoza’s mariachi Amanecer and worked with José Luis Aguilar’s mariachi, led by Felipe Arriaga, the latter encouraging him to seek opportunities in Mexico City in 1965.
He managed to place his first hits on the radio. ‘Forgive me’ and ‘Your way and mine’ quickly gained popularity among Mexicans and with the television blessing of Raúl Velasco, the influential host of ‘Siempre en Domingo’, he sneaked into the growing Mexican film industry, eventually participating in about 30 movies.
Among the recognitions of his musical career are several Latin Grammy, Grammy and Billboard awards, as well as the title of filling 50,000 seats during a concert in the Plaza Monumental de Toros de México in 1984, a record still unattainable for a land full of artists. It also has a star on the Hollywood walk of fame.
His career has not been far from controversial. The artist has made offensive statements against LGBT + people that have caused a stir. And on one occasion he was also seen touching the chest of a fan who asked for a photograph, an act for which he had to publicly apologize.
His career of more than 45 years has taken him to stages such as the National Auditorium or Madison Square Garden. He is considered one of the greatest artists in Mexico and Latin America, his powerful voice has carried the Mexican tradition to several continents.
With EFE and local media