Washington does not intend to abandon plans to end its diplomatic presence in Afghanistan by August 31. This was announced on Friday, August 27, at a briefing by White House press secretary Jen Psaki.
Earlier in the day the newspaper The Washington Post reported that representatives of the Taliban movement (a terrorist organization banned in the Russian Federation) are asking the United States to maintain its diplomatic presence in Afghanistan after the withdrawal of the American military from there.
According to Psaki, the United States is considering ways to interact with the new authorities in Afghanistan.
“President of the U.S.A [Джо Байден] instructed the Secretary of State to continue diplomatic efforts with international partners to ensure the export of third-country nationals and Afghans with visas even after the end of our military presence. Part of this will be a coordinated approach to engaging with the Taliban, ”said a White House spokeswoman.
She pointed out that interaction with the Taliban is necessary for Washington as part of the continuation of the evacuation of US citizens, third countries and Afghans with visas.
“Continued coordination does not mean a diplomatic presence,” Psaki said.
According to her, the US authorities continue to expect that all Americans who want to leave Afghanistan will be able to do so by August 31.
The briefing was broadcast in White House Twitter.
Several explosions were fired in Kabul on August 26. The first explosion in the capital of Afghanistan thundered at the entrance to the airport, the second – near the Baron Hotel, in the immediate vicinity of the air harbor. The media report that a suicide bomber from ISIS (a terrorist organization banned in the Russian Federation) was involved in the first explosion. The second explosion occurred as a result of the explosion of a mined car. After that, a third explosion took place in Kabul.
In addition, it was reported that by the evening in Kabul two new explosions thundered. Later, the new authorities in the Afghan capital said they were produced by the US Armed Forces to destroy their equipment. As Zakharova noted, there were no Russian citizens at the time of the explosions at the airport.
The total death toll from the explosions is estimated at nearly 200. At the same time, there are American servicemen among the victims. British Foreign Minister Dominic Raab said earlier that day that among the dead there are also two British citizens and a child of a citizen of the country, two more Britons were wounded.
On the same day, US President Joe Biden issued a statement and took responsibility for the recent events in Afghanistan. At the same time, the head of the US Central Command, General Kenneth Mackenzie, stressed that the American authorities intend to continue the mission to evacuate compatriots, citizens of other countries and Afghan refugees from Afghanistan, despite the explosions that occurred at the Kabul airport.