Eleven people died in Cambodia after drinking a suspected toxic rice wine at a funeral, a police officer said, in a deadly new episode linked to the production of artisanal alcohol in this country.
In the last two months, more than 30 people have died in three incidents involving rice liquors containing methanol, a highly toxic liquid which can cause blindness if swallowed.
The rice liquor contained methanol, a highly toxic liquid.
Since Friday, eleven people have died and another ten have been hospitalized after drinking homemade wine at a funeral in the coastal province of Kampot, about 155 kilometers from the capital Phnom Penh.
“The victims suffered from dizziness after drinking the liquor,” said a police officer, specifying that samples of the wine were taken for analysis.
The artisan rice wine
The artisan rice wine It is very popular in rural Cambodia for weddings, celebrations or funerals as a cheap alternative to alcohol produced and marketed on the formal circuit.
Eleven people died in Cambodia after drinking allegedly toxic rice wine.
But there is little regulation before this activity and the holders of massive poisonings, even fatal, derived from this type of events are common.
Last month, at least 15 rice wine producers and sellers They were arrested, while the Ministry of Health asks the population not to ingest these liquors.