NATO calls on the Taliban to stop their attacks and shares “deep concern” about the situation
The Pentagon spokesman, John Kirby, confirmed this Monday the air and anti-terrorist support to the Government of Afghanistan in the face of the advance of the Taliban in the country in recent days, in which they have taken three provincial capitals and part of two others.
“The Secretary of Defense, Lloyd Austin, has maintained that we will continue to support Afghanistan with the authorities we have, where and when possible, understanding that it will not always be feasible”, although he has indicated that this support “includes air and anti-terrorist attacks.” . “The United States has the necessary authorities to continue air support to the Afghan government until the end of the month,” he said.
He also referred to the fact that the fighting in the country “is clearly not going in the right direction” and that “the Afghan leadership” has “many advantages” over the Taliban. “It has a force of more than 300,000 soldiers and police, an air force, modern weapons and an organizational structure,” he specified.
For its part, the US State Department has confirmed that the US special envoy for Afghanistan, Zalmay Jalilzad, is in Doha to press “for a reduction in violence and a ceasefire and a commitment not to recognize a government imposed by force ‘.
During several rounds of talks, the United States hopes “to help formulate a joint international response to the rapidly deteriorating situation in Afghanistan,” according to a statement.
Jalilzad will seek to pressure the Taliban “to stop their military offensive and negotiate a political settlement”, because for the United States “it is the only path to stability and development in Afghanistan.”
In this regard, the State Department has expressed “grave concern” about the situation in Afghanistan. “A negotiated peace is the only way to end the war, and the United States will continue to work with all parties and with regional and international stakeholders to promote consensus on a political settlement,” he concluded.
On the other hand, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) has asked the Taliban to stop their attacks and has shared “deep concern” about the situation. “We share the deep concern expressed by the UN Security Council about the high levels of violence caused by the Taliban military offensive, including attacks on civilians, and reports of other serious human rights abuses,” he said. a NATO official in Brussels to the DPA agency.
“The Taliban must understand that they will never be recognized by the international community if they reject the political process and try to take the country by force,” he shared, as he called on the Taliban “to stop their attacks and to participate in the talks of peace in good faith “, which he considered should be an” inclusive peace process, led by and owned by Afghans. ”
“We call on all regional actors to play a constructive role, since a stable and secure Afghanistan benefits everyone,” he concluded.
The Taliban took control of the city of Kunduz on Sunday, the third provincial capital to conquer in less than 72 hours, in an offensive that has led them to record enormous advances in two other provincial capitals: Sar-e- Pul and Taluqan, in Sar-e-Pul and Tajar, respectively.
In this context, the Defense Ministry of Afghanistan has assured earlier this Monday through Twitter that the security forces have killed about 580 alleged Taliban and have injured more than 160 in the combats registered during the last 24 hours.
Unhcr shows its’ concern for refugees in Iran
The UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has shown this Monday its “concern” at the intensification of the humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan due to the increase in violence due to the advance of the Taliban in several provinces of the country in recent days and that have led hundreds of people to flee.
In a statement, he indicated that during the last two days, almost 200 Afghan refugees have been forced to flee to Iran and that “many more Afghan civilians may be trapped if they fail to escape the highly volatile situation.”
“It is estimated that since the beginning of the year almost 400,000 Afghans have been internally displaced within the country, some 244,000 since May alone,” he pointed out.
In this sense, he has urged the Iranian authorities to keep the Milak border crossing open in the face of the intensification of the humanitarian crisis in Afghanistan and has called on this country to continue with the systematic reception of Afghans fleeing the conflict.