If you’re wine loverYou may be less surprised by the choice of a palo cut as one of the 10 best wines in the world. If you agree with the ranking that we are going to show you organized by International Wine Challenge For this 2021, it is time to expand your winery.
Because the complete list of the 10 best wines of the year allows us to discover new Champagne, white, red, sparkling … A list that will delight lovers of good food. In addition, Spain has received another award in the Oscars of wines, the IWC Fortified Winemaker of the Year, for Sergio Martínez, cellar master of Lustau, which receives it for the fifth consecutive year.
The 10 best wines in the world
- WC Champion Red Wine (red wine): Clos de la Roche Grand Cru Cuvée Cyrot Chaudron Hospices de Beaune 2019, Maison Albert Bichot (France).
- IWC Champion Sparkling Wine (sparkling): Vintage 2008, Piper-Heidsieck (France).
- IWC Champion White Wine (white wine): Sigalas Santorini Barrel 2020, Domaine Sigalas (Greece).
- IWC Champion Sweet Wine: Vinsanto di Carmignano Capezzana Riserva 2013, Tenuta Di Capezzana (Italy).
- IWC Champion Fortified Wine: Lustau Palo Cortado VORS 30 Years, Emilio Lustau (Spain).
- International Shiraz Trophy (Shiraz variety): Wolf Blass Gray Label McLaren Vale Shiraz 2019, Wolf Blass Wines (Australia)
- International Sauvignon Blanc Trophy (variety Sauvignon Blanc): Sauvignon Blanc Kitzeck-Sausal Südsteiermark 2019, Weingut Schneeberger (Austria).
- IWC Organic Trophy (organic wine): Corton Charlemagne Grand Cru Domaine du Pavillon 2019, Maison Albert Bichot (France).
- International Riesling Trophy (Riesling variety): Erbacher Siegelsberg Riesling Grosses Gewächs 2015, Weingut Schloss Reinhartshausen (Germany).
- IWC Sustainable Trophy (sustainable wine): Valli Pinot Noir Gibbston Vineyard 2019, Valli Vineyards (New Zealand).
The best Spanish wine
Lustau Palo Cortado VORS received the Fortified Champion Manuel Lozano Trophy award which accredits him as the best fortified wine in the world in 2021. On the other hand, Sergio Martínez, Lustau winemaker, received for fifth consecutive year the title of Best Enologist of Generous Wines in the World.
These two awards are a great step in the 38th edition of the London competition and certify the excellent track record of the Jerez winery, which had already obtained the awards: Sherry trophy Y Palo Cortado Trophy with Lustau Palo Cortado VORS, and the Pedro Ximenez Trophy with Pedro Ximenez San Emilio.
Both for the winery, and especially for Sergio, “it is an immense pride to have received the Fortified Champion Manuel Lozano Trophy award, an award that since 2016 has been associated with the name of Manuel Lozano, former Lustau foreman, and who died that same year. With him, Sergio worked hand in hand for 13 years ”, they affirm.
“For all of us who make up the Lustau team, and who were lucky enough to work alongside him, it is a great honor to obtain an award with the name of Manolo. Receiving for the fifth consecutive year the title of Best Generous Wines Winemaker in the World shows us that we are still on the right track and that the work of the entire team is key and fundamental ”, says the winemaker.
This is Palo Cortado VORS
Topaz in color with coppery hues. Extraordinary intensity on the nose, with aromas of pecan and spicy wood. Slightly bitter on the palate, with hints of dark chocolate. Very long finish. Lustau VORS (Very Old Rare Sherry) Palo Cortado It has its origin in the search and selection that Manuel Lozano, Lustau winemaker, carried out among the oldest soleras of this wine that the company ages in its Jerez wineries.
It is dry, 30 years old and 21% alcohol. The ideal serving temperature is 13 degrees. It should be done in a wide-mouthed glass to release the aromas. It can be reminiscent of nuts and chocolate.
Lustau VORS They are aged wines qualified and certified by the Sherry Wine Regulatory Council, which guarantees that they have aged for at least 30 years. In addition, they are subjected to a strict selection that results only in thousand bottles of 50 centiliters.