Since November 14, 1,207 refugees have returned to Stepanakert, who had previously left their homes because of the hostilities in Nagorno-Karabakh, said the official representative of the Russian Defense Ministry, Major General Igor Konashenkov.
According to him, on November 16, 482 refugees returned to Karabakh from the territories of Armenia. The safety of the movement of the convoys was ensured by patrols of the Russian peacekeeping contingent and the military police, Konashenkov said.
He noted the observance of the ceasefire regime along the entire line of contact. Also, in accordance with the agreements and with the coordination of the Russian peacekeeping forces and the International Committee of the Red Cross in Karabakh, the exchange of bodies of the dead continues.
Konashenkov added that during the peacekeeping operation, Russian sappers had already cleared the entire Lachin corridor and a 28 km section of the road to Stepanakert. Now safe movement of civil vehicles is open on it.
In addition, on November 16, an engineer-sapper unit of the 15th peacekeeping brigade of the Central Military District with special machinery and equipment was transferred to Karabakh. The military began to perform tasks for engineering reconnaissance, demining of terrain, roads and objects. Service dogs are also used to detect and search for explosives, the Major General said.