Does a cook visit the doctor?In the section Does a cook visit the doctor? Chef Ramon Beuk will visit GP Rutger Verhoeff. He asks him for the best ingredients to get through the different times of the day. Today: focus on a good lunch.
Last week, cook Ramon Beuk spoke to GP Rutger Verhoeff about the importance of the 10 o’clock. The next question is automatically how lunch can help us through the day for a few hours.
Verhoef, with whom Beuk the book Tasty Better wrote, finds it disturbing to read and hear texts and statements that promise a lot, but are not very precise. “Eat a carrot muffin and your skin and hair will get better. Take these berries from South America, because that is good for your resistance.”
A nice piece of fruit and a glass of semi-skimmed milk or yogurt complete the lunch
It doesn’t tell you how much to eat and for how long. “Eating a carrot muffin once does not immediately give you a sparkling head of hair. If you want to eat something because you think it can help you with something, it is always advisable to check how much of it you should and may eat. And of course after how much time you should see or feel results. You can get a shortage or surplus of all vitamins and minerals, but you will only get complaints if you have built up a shortage or surplus for a long time. In short: do not believe in miracles.”
What is important is to eat a good lunch with the nutrients that provide energy for the afternoon. “But I often get that huge dip after lunch and a strong cup of coffee seems to be the solution,” says Beuk. ,,I’ve now realized that a combination of wholemeal bread and lots of fresh vegetables and lettuce can prevent that dip well. With wholemeal bread you get a lot of fiber to feel full. Many carbohydrates, proteins and vitamins are important for feeling completely fit. So a nice piece of fruit and a glass of semi-skimmed milk or yogurt complete the lunch. And of course important not to eat too much.”
Special for lunch
It also helps to get part of your daily amount of vegetables in the afternoon, according to the cook. ,,For the balance in your vegetable supply in one day. But because bread is not always my thing and I still want to feel the energy, I developed this salad especially for lunch. For example, I have now taught my girlfriend to take a delicious homemade salad to work every day. And every day a well-closable container goes in her bag.”
Salad with roasted mushrooms and tempeh
150 g tempeh 50 ml soy sauce
150 g mixed small mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar (balseto)
2 tablespoons soybean oil
50 ml semi-skimmed yogurt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 head of frisée lettuce
75 g arugula
50 g mixed nuts
– Prepare the salad the morning or evening before.
– Cut the tempeh into slices of about 1 cm thick. Place the slices on a plate, drizzle with the soy sauce and let them marinate for a few hours or overnight.
– Heat a frying pan without butter or oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and turn the heat down a bit. Roast the mushrooms on all sides.
– For the dressing, mix the crushed garlic cloves with the balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon of soy oil and the yogurt. Add the sugar and salt and pepper to taste.
– Dip the tempeh slices through the flour and press the flour in well. Heat a non-stick pan, add the remaining soy oil and fry the tempeh slices on both sides until golden brown.
– Wash the frisée, remove the inner white leaves and pat them dry.
– Divide the arugula and frisée between the plates. Garnish with the mushrooms, tempeh and nuts. Finish the dish with the dressing.
Energy: 984 kcal (pp: 492 kcal)
Carbohydrates: 51.9 g
Protein: 43.4 g
Fats: 62 g (vv: 9.5 g)
Fiber: 20 g
Ramon Beuk wrote the book together with general practitioner Rutger Verhoeff ‘Nice Better’. The aim of this book is to make people eat more consciously and to achieve maximum performance with the right nutrition. More about ‘Tasty Better’ are you reading here.
Tips and tricks from Ramon Beuk to make your food even tastier can be found below:
Free unlimited access to Showbytes? Which can!
Log in or create an account and never miss a thing from the stars.