Asmaa Al-Hussaini (Cairo, Khartoum)
The United Nations Human Rights Council, in its session yesterday on Sudan, adopted a draft resolution submitted by Britain, with some countries, condemning the army’s control of power in Sudan. The Council demanded an immediate return to civilian rule, and approved the appointment of an expert to monitor grave violations of human rights in Sudan for a year.
This came, while Sudanese television announced that the Commander-in-Chief of the Sudanese Armed Forces, Lieutenant-General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, issued a decision to dissolve all boards of directors of government companies and national agricultural projects.
Al-Burhan had announced the dissolution of the Sovereignty Council and the Council of Ministers, more than ten days ago, and the imposition of a state of emergency, which was met with massive demonstrations and international calls for the return of the civilian government and the preservation of the partnership between the military and civilians.
Yesterday, Michelle Bachelet, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights called on the Sudanese army to reverse its decision to seize control of the country and refrain from using excessive force against detainees.
During the emergency session of the United Nations Human Rights Council on Sudan, Bachelet expressed her deep concern about the army’s control of the government on the twenty-fifth of last month, and its dissolution of the civilian government, noting that the United Nations office in Khartoum documented the use of force by the military, including bullets. neighborhood to disperse anti-demonstrations.
The commissioner indicated that 13 civilians were killed and more than 300 others were injured, by elements of the army and security forces in Sudan, calling on the military and security forces to stop using lethal force and to bring those responsible for these violations to justice.
In her speech to the meeting of the Human Rights Council, the dismissed Sudanese Minister of Foreign Affairs, Maryam Al-Sadiq Al-Mahdi, confirmed that the military’s control of power affected the course of the revolution, and brought Sudan back to the past of gross human rights violations, as Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdok was placed under house arrest, and a number of ministers were arrested. Governors, leaders of the forces of freedom and change, and representatives of civil society.
Al-Mahdi stressed that any attempt to divert the Sudanese people from the civil and democratic path will be doomed to failure.
Sudanese experts and analysts told Al-Ittihad that these decisions of the Human Rights Council mean putting Sudan under international human rights guardianship again.
Sudanese writer and political analyst, Zuhair Al-Sarraj, confirmed to Al-Ittihad that this comes only one year after the abolition of the mandate of the independent UN expert on Sudan on October 6, 2020, which lasted for more than 25 years, which means that the Sudanese government will be under scrutiny. Strict by the Council in everything related to human rights.
On the other hand, the European Union raised the flag of Sudan, yesterday, in the Belgian capital, Brussels, in solidarity with the Sudanese people.
Luisel Miguel Bueno, the official spokesman for the European Union for the Middle East and North Africa, posted a picture on his Twitter account, showing the Sudanese flag flying at the union building. Commenting on the photo, Bueno said: “We raised the Sudanese flag in the European Union to honor the Sudanese people, and to express our support for the aspirations of the Sudanese.”
This comes at a time when the United Nations Mission in Sudan has urged the Sudanese authorities to immediately release all detainees on October 25 and beyond.
The UN mission condemned the arrest of members of the Central Council of the Forces of Freedom and Change after their meeting with the UN representative yesterday. The mission said: “These arrests impede efforts to restore stability in Sudan, and cancel any positive impact of the release of four ministers.”
Al-Burhan had ordered the release of 4 ministers from Hamdok’s government, the night before last.
In another development, the South Sudanese mediation delegation headed by Counselor Tut Galwak left the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, yesterday. Well-informed Sudanese sources told Al-Ittihad that the delegation’s efforts failed to hold a direct meeting between Al-Burhan and Hamdok. In addition, the French Foreign Ministry said yesterday that the military coup in Sudan “threatens” the Paris Club mechanism that allows rich countries to write off the 5 billion owed by Khartoum.