D.he big EM frustration of Robert Lewandowski, Leroy Sané & Co., Julian Nagelsmann no longer wants to deal with FC Bayern. “We try to be successful here and then to forget about that as quickly as possible through successful games in the DFB-Pokal, Supercup and in the Bundesliga,” said the new Munich coach, whose loud commands also switched to the training area on Thursday. Nagelsmann was “completely satisfied” after the first sweaty minutes of training with the German record champions.
The 33-year-old can still only work with a rump team with newcomer Dayot Upamecano as the biggest star. But Nagelsmann already sketched out some plans with his new star ensemble right at the start, in which Sané, who was much criticized at the European Championships, is to play a leading role.
“We’d all do well to leave Leroy alone for a bit,” asked Nagelsmann. “He has outstanding qualities and an incredible speed, is one of the best one-on-one players and incredibly strong at dribbling,” said the new coach. “I’m relatively sure that we will see a stronger and better Leroy who will hopefully have a big impact on FC Bayern’s successes next year.”
Long break after EM
In training, he wanted to work with Sané accordingly, but “of course the inner drive of every single player is also required,” said Nagelsmann. Sané, Serge Gnabry, Niklas Süle, Leon Goretzka and Jamal Musiala, like Lewandowski and the French internationals, are expected back in Munich on July 26th for performance tests. The first training session is scheduled for July 28th. Kimmich, Neuer and Thomas Müller can even enjoy the holidays until July 31st, and in August they train for the first time under their new boss. “You played a lot last year,” said the Bayern coach, explaining the longer break.
He sees manager Kimmich differently than the last national coach Joachim Löw in the sixth position. “Basically, I already plan it centrally,” said Nagelsmann. How long Kimmich (contract until 2023) will play alongside Goretzka remains to be seen. The midfield colleague is in negotiations to extend his contract, which runs up to and including June 30, 2022.
“I would be very happy if I could have many years, hopefully an era, with him because I think very highly of him. I believe that I will have an excellent collaboration with him, ”Nagelsmann advertised. “He is one of the most dangerous midfielders in Europe. Everyone likes to have it in their ranks. “
Süle’s contract in Munich also expires in a year. “We’re looking forward to Niklas and need every player,” said sports director Hasan Salihamidzic. “We are in contact with the management and have had discussions in one direction or the other.” After Süle’s return, everything will be discussed with the trainer.
After Lucas Hernández’s operation, Süle is even more challenged. Despite the injury to Hernández, who suffered a tear in the inner meniscus on his left knee, as well as the departures of Jérôme Boateng, David Alaba and Javi Martínez, Nagelsmann sees no problems in central defense for Bayern.
Upamecano, who is committed to RB Leipzig for 42.5 million euros like Nagelsmann, is to become an important pillar. “I’ve known Upa for a long time, I know what his strengths are and what he still has to work on,” said Nagelsmann. “We are well positioned with other players like Pavard, Hernández or Süle.”
Tanguy Nianzou (19) also wants to finally show his skills in Munich after a difficult first year in Bayern with bad luck with injuries. “Tanguy has all the skills to become an outstanding player,” predicted Nagelsmann, who has been following the young Frenchman’s career for a long time.