Egypt has witnessed a gradual increase in the number of Corona virus infections since the beginning of the new year, amid assurances that the country will enter the fifth wave of the pandemic.
The Egyptian government had announced, earlier, a clear increase in the rates of Corona virus infections monitored by the laboratories of the Ministry of Health, and an increase in the rates of drug withdrawals from pharmacies.
In statements to Sky News Arabia, Taj El-Din said that the Omicron mutant is the dominant one in Egypt now, and it appeared in the country as it appeared in all countries of the world, stressing that this mutant is the cause of an increase in the number of cases in Egypt recently.
He added, “This mutant is spreading rapidly and in large numbers, but its symptoms have become less severe than those of Covid-19 in previous waves.”
The advisor to the Egyptian President expected that the number of infections will continue to increase during the coming period as a result of the cold weather, and the presence of confusion between seasonal influenza infections and the Corona virus, indicating that it is expected that the improvement in the epidemiological situation of Corona in Egypt will begin at the end of March or at the beginning of April of this year.
He explained that Corona’s injuries in Egypt have become “family”, as one person with Omicron can cause the infection to be transmitted to his family, in addition to infecting children with this mutant, after their infection rate was low in the previous waves.
He stressed that there is “complete control” of the disease in Egypt, and the occupancy rate of hospitals is still low.
The upward curve in the number of injuries began since the first week of January, especially since last January 7, when the Ministry of Health recorded 821 positive cases, and since then the numbers have continued to rise.
In the latest official census, the ministry announced on Wednesday 1,379 new cases, raising the total of patients to 403,990, of whom 337,627 were cured, and 33 new deaths, bringing the total victims of the epidemic to 22,238.
Taj El-Din said that he attended a meeting of Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, on Wednesday, to discuss the current epidemiological situation on the spread of the Corona virus at the level of the Republic.
He pointed out that President El-Sisi directed taking more precautionary measures, emphasizing their application, and preventing crowds in public places and government sectors.
Al-Sisi’s advisor pointed out that there is a directive regarding school students, related to reducing densities inside examination headquarters, and implementing distancing inside the committees, while following preventive measures to protect students from infection.
The Egyptian President directed the government to strengthen awareness programs for all citizens regarding the precautionary measures taken to prevent the Corona virus.
Al-Sisi stressed the full commitment to implement these measures, especially in crowded places such as government departments, universities and schools, as well as public and service places.