Thursday, April 13, 2023, 00:49
The Italian tennis player Jannik Sinner has praised Carlos Alcaraz’s game in an interview with ‘Corriere della Sera’, saying that he impresses on the court and that he always learns when they face each other. The transalpine, currently number 8 in the world, explains how special their rivalry is and goes back to 2019, when they met for the first time: «The first time we met was at the Alicante Challenger, in 2019, Carlos won. After the game I came up: how old are you? How long have you been training every day? Anyway, I asked him a couple of things because it was clear to me that Alcaraz was a special guy. And then he was only 15 years old », says Sinner.
Since then they have seen each other six more times on the ATP circuit and the balance is currently three victories for each one. The Italian took the final of Umag in 2022, but the Spaniard obtained a more valuable triumph by winning the quarterfinals of the US Open 2022, where he later became champion. This year the faces have been seen in the semifinals of Indian Wells and Miami, the coin falling once on each side.
«I can guarantee it: on the field, he impresses. Every time I play with it I learn something. Every clash with him inspires me and he puts more gasoline in my private tank to continue improving”, says Sinner firmly, who has high expectations on this tour on clay (today Hurkacz is measured in the round of 16 of the Monte Carlo Masters 1000 ) and that he could face Alcaraz again next week at the Conde de Godó.
Carlitos, now recovered from his physical ailments, is traveling to Barcelona today to begin preparing for a tournament in which he will debut next Wednesday. Tickets for that day, by the way, are already on sale. The cheapest is worth 63 euros and the most expensive is 250. Rafa Nadal will return to the slopes in this edition of the Conde de Godó.
Bautista loses to Zverev and there are no Spaniards left in Monte Carlo
The German Alexander Zverev extended his good winning streak, beating Roberto Bautista from Castellón yesterday in the second round of the Monte Carlo tournament (6-4 and 6-4). Thus, Spanish tennis completes its worst Monte Carlo in 36 years: everyone is already eliminated. Bautista, Zapata, Ramos, Davidovich and Munar have been unable to get past the second round, while Alcaraz, Nadal and Carreño have not participated in the tournament. Outside of the Spanish, most of the favorites are still alive in Monte Carlo. The Serbian Novak Djokovic, current number one in the world, will face today with the Italian Lorenzo Musetti, with a place in the quarterfinals of the tournament at stake.
#Sinner #praises #Alcaraz #time #play #learn