Rescuers have stopped searching for survivors among the rubble of the collapsed Miami apartment block. Miami Dade-County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said hopes had been lost that living persons would be found. American media report Thursday. The operation now focuses on finding and recovering the bodies of victims. 86 people are still missing who may have been in the apartment building at the time of the June 24 collapse. At least 54 were killed in the disaster.
Earlier this week, authorities controlled the part of the apartment building that was still standing to collapse. It was feared that a tropical storm would otherwise cause the building to collapse further. Using controlled explosions, rescuers hoped to gain access to previously impassable parts of the complex, where survivors could still be hit. This chance was estimated to be low eleven days after the disaster.
Fire chief Ray Jadallah said in a news conference on Wednesday that rescue workers have not found any possible signs of life since the first hours of the rescue operation. Miami Herald. Due to the way the building has collapsed and the lack of food, water and air, the chance of survival is virtually nil. The operation now continues with other dogs trained to find fatalities, and without sonar equipment to locate survivors. Jadallah does say that he will act “with the same intensity” and “carefully”, so that the bodies still under the rubble can be handed over to relatives.