Mexico City / 08.25.2021 09:02:42
Surely you have heard in recent weeks that Congress has discussed the issue of revocation of mandate for the president Andrés Manuel López Obrador, But what does this mean?
The president proposed a reform to various provisions of the Constitution to establish the general rules on the procedure for revocation of mandate, which was put to discussion in plenary.
Later, he went to the Chamber of Deputies with the aim of regulating the right of citizens to participate in revocation processes and include some provisions regarding referendum to make it more impactful.
The Electoral Dictionary of the Inter-American Institute of Human Rights states that the revocation is based on the principles of popular sovereignty, representation and accountability, through which the population exercises its sovereignty.
It is carried out by means of suffrage – universal, free and secret -, in this case, a popular consultation, and can be applied to deputies, senators or to President of the Republic.
The revocation of mandate, according to Congress, in addition to allowing citizens to become more involved in the election of their officials, they also:
- Strengthens popular control over the government.
- It allows voters to correct failures in electoral systems, which can be caused by errors in voting ballots or failures in electronic counting systems, among others.
- Encourage elected public officials to be more accountable to their constituents.
What is needed to carry out the revocation of mandate?
Chapter 2 of the Mandate Revocation Law Mention two main requirements for your application:
- Half of the period for which the official was elected has elapsed. In the case of the presidency, half the term would be equivalent to three years.
- That it is requested by at least 3 percent of the citizens registered in the electoral roll. According to figures from National Electoral Institute (INE)As of August 13 of this year, the register has 92 million 206 thousand 413 people registered, therefore, the percentage would be approximately 2.7 million voters.
Currently, the consultation raised for the revocation contemplates being carried out in March 2022 to avoid matching midterm federal elections.