The 29-year-old striker’s comments came in the documentary “Neymar and the Dynasty of Kings”, produced by the German network DAZN, which published excerpts on its Twitter account on Sunday.
“I think it’s the last world championship for me, I think it’s the last because I don’t know if I have the mental strength to deal with football after that,” Neymar said.
“For this reason, I will do everything in my power to finish my international career well, I will do everything to win the World Cup with my country, to fulfill my biggest dreams since childhood, and I hope to be able to do so,” Neymar said.
Neymar will join the Brazil national team later on Sunday to face Colombia in the World Cup qualifiers. The Seleção team leads the group of 10 teams with 27 points from nine matches.
The striker did not take part in Brazil’s 3-1 win over Venezuela on Thursday due to the suspension.
The Colombia match will be Neymar’s comeback since his 2-0 victory over Peru on September 10, when he gave Brazil an outstanding performance with an assist and a goal. Despite his efforts, Neymar made it clear after the match that he was upset with the treatment he was receiving in Brazil.
“I don’t know what else I should do with this shirt so that people respect Neymar,” he said. Local media accused the striker of losing his fitness in Brazil’s 1-0 win over Chile earlier in September, forcing the striker to go shirtless during training to show his fitness.
Neymar has played so far in two World Cups. In 2014, he suffered a back injury in the quarter-final against Colombia, which prevented him from participating in the match in which Germany inflicted a heavy defeat on Brazil, 7-1 in the semi-final match.