The school year 2021/2022 is already under a difficult star. After all, the corona crisis is far from over, as a look at the schools shows.
Munich – Corona infections are also making their way through Germany in waves. We are currently at a stage that medicine and thus also politics calls the “fourth wave”. Uniform rules for the whole country are still wishful thinking in many areas, instead each federal state decides individually on how to combat the Covid-19 pandemic.
It is important to deal responsibly with the risk of infection in the nation’s schools as well. After all, drastic protective measures run the risk of the generation of the future suffering immense damage. After the corona pandemic has dominated public events for well over a year, the question arises to what extent educational institutions have adapted to the situation, which is no longer so unknown, during the summer holidays.
Corona rules in schools: annoyances and confusions in many places
Current experiences from various German schools lead to the fear that in many places a solution that is also satisfactory for the pupils has not yet been found. No wonder: There is confusion about the 3G rule not only in Bavaria. the image reports on annoyances from “draconian corona rules” that cause people concern after the summer vacation:
- Pinneberg (Schleswig-Holstein): In a school, fourth graders are not allowed to recite a rehearsed song because of Corona. In addition, children supposedly have to shut up during breaks because they don’t wear a mask while eating.
- Dormagen (North Rhine-Westphalia): Although the rooms are large enough according to the regulations, students are not allowed to eat there. Lunch is allegedly served on a fire escape and the high school students look for a place to sit in the schoolyard – or eat while standing. The reason given is that teachers do not want to supervise students without mask protection in a shared room.
- Brandenburg: At one elementary school, a teacher apparently opposes the Ministry’s instructions to give the children a break from masks when ventilating. In addition, she would meticulously measure 1.5 meter distances (even to the desk, despite the glass pane).
- Bielefeld (North Rhine-Westphalia): First graders would be picked up by teachers at symbolic “bus stops”. However, while the children all have to wear masks, many educators allegedly do without them.
- Karlsruhe (Baden-Württemberg): In the first grade of an elementary school there is supposedly a “take a deep breath” seat at the window. Only there are students allowed to take off their masks for a short time.
- Hamburg: On school trips, students are encouraged to take off their corona mask in the bedrooms. The only exception: when sleeping.
- Neuss (North Rhine-Westphalia): According to the report, a bizarre case also occurred at a primary school in Neuss: After a child received a positive follow-up test, the health department ordered all children on a group table to be quarantined for two weeks. However, intermittent free testing was not possible. It is different when returning to Germany from a high-risk area – here it is possible after five days.
Corona rules in German schools: Children are at risk of consequential damage
It is easy to guess that such behaviors pose a danger to children and can potentially damage their development as a result. In the meantime, a team of researchers from the Berlin Charité has found out why children themselves put up with Covid-19 pretty well.
Statements made by the head of the teachers’ association a few weeks ago in the direction of the responsible education ministries of the federal states are explosive:
Meanwhile, the corona numbers in Germany continue to rise. The NRW incidence is almost twice as high as elsewhere. Reason not to think about carnival? Click here for the news ticker. (PF)