This designation bans the organization’s activities in Russia and puts its members and supporters at risk of severe penalties, up to life imprisonment.
The Russian Prosecutor General’s Office said in a statement on Telegram that the Supreme Court issued this designation at its request.
The statement added that the organization seeks “to undermine the constitutional foundations of Russia and to overthrow the power in the country, including by launching terrorist acts.”
What information is available about the “Russian Freedom Corps”?
- The “Russian Freedom Corps” was established with the start of the Russian military operation in Ukraine.
- Forms part of an international volunteer battalion fighting alongside the Ukrainian army.
- Its logo is a fist bearing the words “Russia” and “Freedom”.
- During an interview in January, the organisation’s spokesman, who calls himself “Caesar”, told AFP reporters that the legion had “several hundred” Russian volunteers.
- The spokesman added that fighters from the Corps have been fighting in the city of Bakhmut, which has been witnessing fierce battles for months.
- Media reports indicated that the fighters in the Legion underwent interviews, psychological tests, and even a lie detector test, in anticipation of any penetration attempt.
- There are no exact figures on the number of fighters in the legion.
#Moscow #classifies #Russian #volunteers #fighting #Ukraine #terrorists