Welcome to this blog
In this blog keeps NRC the developments surrounding the corona crisis at home and abroad. This was the most important news of Wednesday, August 4:
- People who are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 have 50 to 60 percent less likely to get infected with the Delta variant of the coronavirus compared to unvaccinated people. Those who have been vaccinated, but who are infected, carry on average a lower amount of virus particles. This was revealed on Wednesday from results of a study by Imperial London College.
- 85 percent of adults in the Netherlands now have at least one corona vaccination had. This was reported by the RIVM. Last week, 812,269 people received an injection. That is the lowest weekly number since May.
- Event organizer ID&T waives summary proceedings against the state, which the company initiated in July with forty industry peers. “ID&T Groep sees no legal ground to continue the current summary proceedings and calls on the government to fully reopen in September,” the organization wrote in a statement on Wednesday.
- The number of corona patients included in the Hopital fell for the first time in three weeks. While 719 patients with Covid-19 were admitted on Tuesday, that number fell by 57 to 662 on Wednesday. This was shown by the most recent figures from the National Coordination Center for Patients Spreading (LCPS).
Read here the whole blog from Wednesday 4 August back
More measures in Japan and no big birthday party for Obama
How is the corona crisis progressing in the rest of the world? A tour abroad.
- In eight more prefectures in Japan The corona measures have been tightened due to the increasing number of infections in the country. A state of emergency is already in place in six prefectures and strict measures are in place in five others. The same strict measures were announced on Thursday for the regions of Fukushima, Ibaraki, Tochigi, Gunma, Shizuoka, Aichi, Shiga and Kumamoto, write local media. As a result, it is no longer allowed to serve alcohol in the catering industry from Sunday and restaurants are asked to close at 8 p.m. The number of corona infections in Japan has been rising since the end of June. On Wednesday, the number of daily infections rose to more than 14,000, after the country registered more than 12,000 infections on Tuesday for the first time since the corona outbreak.
- Former President of the United States Barack Obama has decided to celebrate his 60th birthday smaller than originally planned. His spokesperson announced this on Wednesday, reporting American media. Initially, hundreds of guests, including celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey and George Clooney, were expected to attend the birthday party on Saturday. In connection with the rising infection numbers in the US, this led to a lot of criticism, especially from Republican quarters. Only close friends and family are now welcome at the party.
- It United Kingdom accepts starting Wednesday the free corona tests that the Dutch government offers. This is reported by the British embassy in The Hague. Until recently, travelers on the Eurostar train from Amsterdam to London were rejected because the test that was done in advance at the Dutch GGD was not yet recognized by British customs. This Dutch test certificate does not contain the name of the person who took the test – a requirement for the United Kingdom.