At least twelve people lost their lives in the house collapse in Miami. US President Joe Biden has announced that he will be traveling to the scene of the accident this week.
Surfside – For the sixth day in a row, rescue workers search for missing people in the rubble of the partially collapsed apartment building in Miami. The death toll has now risen to twelve and 149 people are still missing, said the mayor of the Miami Dade district, Daniella Levine Cava, to the media on Tuesday evening (June 29, 2021). US President Joe Biden* announced a trip to Florida this week. From the White House it was said, Joe and Wife Jill Biden* would visit the scene of the accident on Thursday.
The one close to the beach Building with around 130 residential units had partially collapsed on Thursday night (June 24th, 2021). The misfortune surprised people in their sleep. Since then, rescue teams have been looking for survivors in the rubble. They are on duty around the clock and work with sniffer dogs, special cameras, listening instruments and heavy equipment. More than 200 people are currently involved in the search at the site of the accident, according to Levine Cava. They worked day and night, in rotating twelve-hour shifts. There are more than enough forces for the search.
House collapse in Miami: President Joe Biden and wife Jill visit site of disaster
The President of United States*, Joe Biden, wants to visit the scene of the accident on Thursday (July 1st, 2021) together with his wife Jill Biden. The White House said the Bidens will travel there to thank emergency workers and provide support to families who fear for the lives of their loved ones.
Shortly after the collapse, emergency teams were initially able to save several dozen people. But since then, the authorities have only reported bad news. Officially, the number of deaths is still twelve, but it is feared that the number will rise significantly in view of the many missing people. According to the police, eleven of the dead have so far been identified: The victims are between the ages of 26 and 83.
Daniella Cava said the county is working to review the list of missing persons for more accurate data. “We are in the process of sifting through all of this information. It’s a slow and methodical process, “she told the Miami Herald.
Collapsed skyscraper in Miami: “Major structural damage” known for years
The cause of the partial collapse is still unclear. The residential complex known as Champlain Towers South dates from the 1980s. A Opinion published by the City of Surfside* had already identified “major structural damage” in 2018. US media also reported on letters from the property management company, which warned of the need to renovate millions of euros with reference to structural risks. It is now to be determined whether the apparently due renovations are related to the collapse. (dsc with agencies) * fr.de is an offer from IPPEN.MEDIA.
List of rubric lists: © EVA MARIE UZCATEGUI / afp