A man hospitalized with mental confusion and seizures in the United States discovered that he had had a live tapeworm in his brain for decades.
The 38-year-old man fell out of bed and was found trembling by his wife at dawn. In the emergency room, he had a generalized seizure and then underwent MRI and CT scans of the head.
Doctors diagnosed neurocysticercosis, a disease in which larvae of the Taenia Solim invade the brain and generate cysts between neurons. The infection is caused by consuming pork contaminated with the parasite’s eggs. The case study was published in The New England Journal of Medicine. Information is from the Galileo website.
+ US issue warning against travel to Germany and Denmark due to Covid release
After hospital treatment, the man was discharged on the fifth day after admission. Afterwards, there was a decrease in edema and the man had no more seizures for three years.
The post Homem had a live tapeworm in his brain for decades first appeared in ISTOÉ DINHEIRO.
#Male #live #tapeworm #brain #decades