On the night of November 21, surgeons from the Lviv Regional Children’s Hospital “Okhmatdet” saved the life of an 11-year-old girl from the Zhidachevsky region, who inhaled a clerical nail.
As it turned out, the girl and her friends threw a party, one of the participants in which inhaled a clerical nail, which for some reason she was holding in her mouth. Unfortunately, a metal object is stuck in the bronchi. The doctors of the Khodorovsky city hospital were powerless, and the ambulance took the child to Okhmatdet.
As reported zaxid.net, the pediatric surgeon Alexander Kolodiy undertook to operate on the child. It was a jewelry intervention, because the diameter of the child’s trachea is only 8 mm and it is extremely difficult to work there with forceps. Nevertheless, it was possible to remove the clerical nail without complications.
During the operation, it turned out that the plastic part of the nail completely blocked the bronchus so that the lower lobe of the right lung was almost non-functional.
At the moment, the child has already been discharged.
We will remind, on the eve of Lviv, doctors of the emergency hospital were able to perform a complex and extremely responsible operation of organ transplantation to three patients from one donor at once.