After the president Andrés Manuel López Obrador will report this Thursday in his morning conference that prisoners who have been tortured could be released, if they verify the facts, doubts have arisen about the Istanbul Protocol, that is why we tell you what this manual consists of.
The President asked to verify through the Protocol Istanbull torture cases, as it announced that will present a decree to free, in addition, people who are in federal prisons and who are over 75 years of age, as well as those who have been deprived of their liberty for more than 10 years and without a sentence.
“We don’t want torture in Mexico. Nobody deserves to be tortured, nobody, so these actions will be part of a decree that I am going to sign and that the Ministry of the Interior will prepare. We are going to prepare it next week to present and publish ”, he said in La Mañanera.
What is the Istanbul Protocol?
The Istanbul Protocol is a manual for effective investigation and documentation of the torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. In these cases, torture it is exercised by public servants, that is why it is considered state violence.
For his part, Committee for the Comprehensive Defense of Human Rights Gobixha defines it as a guide that contains the basic lines with international standards in human rights for the medical and psychological evaluation of a person who is presumed or has been a victim of torture or some bad treatment. Its application requires recognizing the context in which the facts are given, that is, to carry out a psychosocial investigation, since each case is different.
The protocol was approved by the United Nations Organization in 1999; but nevertheless, in the world There has been a ban on torture and all forms of cruelty and humiliation since 1948, the year in which the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was approved, according to Amnesty International.
How is the Istanbul Protocol applied?
Even though that him Istanbul Protocol mark some guidelines for its application, these are not rigid, but rather are in consideration of the characteristics of the case to be evaluated. Of these instructions, the following stand out:
- History / psychological examination: At this point, the psychological antecedents before and after the torture, examination of the mental state, social functioning and all the consequences left by the traumatic event are integrated.
- Thorough physical examination: In order to verify the health status of the person, various specialized clinical studies must be carried out that cover the head, face, ears, nose, throat, eyes, oral cavity and teeth, thorax and abdomen, genitourinary system, musculoskeletal system, central and peripheral nervous system, etc.
- Allegations of torture and ill-treatment: Rsummary of the facts, mentioning the data of the arrest, places and a chronology.
- Psychosocial history prior to arrest
- Qualification of the clinician (s): Academic training and experience in documenting torture cases must be approved.
- General case information: date of the examination, if there is any kind of restriction for its application, whether or not there is consent of the person for its application.
Israel Vallarta Case
The President’s decree proposal comes when the case of Israel Vallarta, alleged member of the band The Zodiac, and accused of kidnapping, is again on the public and media agenda, after almost 16 years in prison and without a judgment issued.
The Secretary of the Interior, Olga Sanchez Corderor, said in the morning conference that his family “has not accepted the strategies proposed by the Interior Ministry consistent in promoting the incident of freedom due to data fading ”.
“This strategy would benefit him for one of the two criminal cases he has accumulated, so that if the preceding Cassez, it is foreseeable that be acquitted in that matter. This is not the case in the other case that is still pending, ”he said.
But nevertheless, Maria Guadalupe Vicencio Sánchez, wife of Israel Vallarta, and lawyer Arturo Robles Feria, stated that the only way out of the accusations of kidnapping and organized crime that are keeping Israel in prison is for the federal Judicial Power to issue an acquittal and not through other means that could also leave it on freedom.
Israel Vallarta for its part, in a telephone call made from the prison of the Plateau, said that he awaits justice for all the years that he has been a victim of torture, he asks to be heard, since his demands and petitions have been ignored for all the violations that have been committed in his case and on his person.