To tell a Grand Prix you can use analysis and rankings, numbers and words. Images that converge in the most beautiful one: the podium celebrations, where the riders become children again and are covered in champagne. Reminding us that this, in the end, is a sport, and as such it should be interpreted: seriously, but having fun. A new format starts from the podium and from this spirit, where the three promoted and three rejected of the various F1 Grand Prix will be chosen: this is Hungary’s turn.
F1 | Hungarian GP 2021, the podium of the promoted
|1. Fernando Alonso|
|2. Williams, finally||3. Sebastian Vettel|
1. Fernando Alonso. The Ibrahimovic of Formula 1: 40 years old and still explains it to everyone. And everyone clings to him, to improve themselves and get results. Moving race of Nando, who stands as Ocon’s shield, lets him escape, otherwise Hamilton would arrive. And if it arrives on time, it eats you. Instead, thanks to the Oviedo wall, Ocon gets to the door and locks it before it’s too late. A week as a hero, which, like in the movies, leaves the scene to others, as if there was a new mission to accomplish. “Defense on Lewis? I did not do anything special“,”Credit to the team“, And phrases like that. So let’s wait for the next film, we have already taken the front row seat.
2. Williams, finally. Seven hundred and thirty-four days: so much had passed since Williams’ last point in Formula 1. A historic team that was in danger of getting used to hell and moving there like Virgil, who knew him inside out and knew he could never reach Heaven. Now, these 10 points are not Eden: Prost, Hill and Villeneuve – just so as not to go beyond the 90s – took them in a race. It is clear that there is a way to go. But it is also evident that this team has not given up in the face of difficulties and has started working well again: now it has gone into cash, with the help of good luck. But aside from the fact that luck is sought and deserved, how many times has Williams come close to getting that little bit that for her was an Olympic gold medal? And honorable mention to Russell: the only day he is behind Latifi becomes the one to remember. He is the worthy heir of Bottas in Mercedes. Seriously, good George, you cried like a baby in interviews, but those are man’s tears.
3. Sebastian Vettel. Speaking of men, here’s a thick one. Not to mention the penalty at 22.04, which is difficult to understand for a Grand Prix that ended before 17 (who knows if they woke him up on purpose to tell him), he remains the protagonist of a weekend as a leader. Seb is not a leader, he does not pretend by force: he lets himself be followed by example, he communicates with messages that are not necessarily written. At Silverstone it helps to clean the track of waste, in Hungary it surpasses itself. In a country that has passed the anti-LGBT law that is challenging Europe and community values and further threatens the civil rights of the Hungarian state, Vettel exposes theRainbow (symbol prohibited by Prime Minister Orban) wherever he can: helmet, shirt, mask, even shoes. Only her hair was missing, maybe she thought about it and luckily she gave up. He comes out of the Hungaroring not gaining points in the standings, but gaining some in the level of esteem, which – of course – was already very high.
F1 | Hungarian GP 2021, the failed podium
|1. Second place finisher|
|2. The bumper car at the start||3. Alfa Romeo|
3. Alfa Romeo. He takes a point by divine concession despite having two cars in a race that knocks out a Mercedes, a Ferrari, an Aston Martin, a Red Bull, a McLaren and reduces Verstappen and Ricciardo to half service. What else has to happen to get two drivers to the points? And then in the pits they have to wake up: unsafe release Raikkonen on Mazepin in the race, Giovinazzi did the same with Stroll in PL3. And the Apulian also dangerously slowed down Gasly on Saturday morning. Grade 4 in the report card: well-deserved overtaking by Williams.
2. The bumper at the start. On the one hand Stroll who reinvents himself lawnmowers and while Leclerc is combing (never let that boy get a motoring joy). On the other Bottas, which at the start looks like Nonno Nedo with the Uno smashed and under braking looks like Bottas. That is, a driver who does not have the mental strength to excel: he makes a mistake, he breaks down and still makes mistakes. He kills Norris and half of Verstappen’s car in one fell swoop, as well as himself, directing the championship to Hamilton’s side. Had it not been for Mercedes suicide, Lewis would have made 100 with his arm out and the deck chair behind.
– Scuderia Ferrari (@ScuderiaFerrari) August 1, 2021
1. Second place finisher. Ranking of the drivers who have won the most Grands Prix with Ferrari: Schumacher 72, Lauda 15, Second place finisher 14. Ranking of the drivers who have won the most podiums with Ferrari: Schumacher 116, Barrichello 55, Second place finisher 55. Last Ferrari driver in win a Formula 1 race: Second place finisher. Last Ferrari driver in the championship lead: Second place finisher. They must have updated the registry office in Maranello: now Sebastian Vettel is called Second place finisher. Not even VET, as used in social communication: Second place finisher. It’s okay that you can leave us badly (with the top management), and it’s okay that you have failed the title-goal, but Vettel deserves respect. And it is good that Ferrari gives it: if the others called it according to the results (last year and a half) it would be a drama, even in the exorbitant number of characters of the writing (you know, on Twitter the synthesis is everything).
What are yours? And above all, why?