A federal government study proposes that the average salary of state, traffic, municipal police officers, prison guards and grenadiers in the 32 states, is 13 thousand 639 pesos per month.
The document “Living Wage for Police Officers in Mexico”, prepared by the Executive Secretariat of the National Public Security System (SESNSP) and the National Minimum Wages Commission (Conasami), made the estimate taking into account age, gender, marital status, education, price level of the entities, salaries and salaries, as well as transfers and government support.
“The objective of the study is to provide a reference for the minimum income that a police officer should have per entity to satisfy their main needs and those of their family in terms of adequate food, footwear, housing, health, education and recreation.”
According to the analysis, until last year, the elements of 18 entities in the country received a salary that does not guarantee an adequate quality of life for the police officers, as well as for their families.
The only states that, until December 2020, paid a living wage to staff are: San Luis Potosí, Guanajuato, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Jalisco, Baja California, Querétaro, Zacatecas, Veracruz, Sinaloa, Durango, Nuevo León and Hidalgo.
In the new proposal, it is estimated that the public security personnel who should receive a higher salary are those who work in Quintana Roo, with a monthly salary of 18 thousand 24 pesos; while those that would have the least perception, but that would be enough to cover their basic needs, according to the study, are those of Veracruz, with 8,651.
“The living wage that would allow the families of the police to cover their most basic needs ranges from 8 thousand 651 pesos (Veracruz) to 18 thousand 024 (Quintana Roo), with a national average of 13 thousand 639”.
The SESNSP proposal would allow the police of some entities, such as Mexico City, to increase their perceptions by going from 11,705 pesos per month (2020) to 14,221.
“On average, labor income is 356 pesos below the estimated living wage. Fourteen of the thirty-two entities already exceed the estimated living wage, while the remaining eighteen (56.25 percent) are still below ”.
According to the study, there is a marked disparity mainly between elements that work in Tabasco and Chiapas, since when comparing their perceptions, they are minimal to that of the police officers who work in San Luis Potosí and Guanajuato.
“Tabasco and ChiapasAs the entities with the lowest monthly income, they are the ones that are farthest from the living wage with a lag of approximately 6 thousand pesos. Opposite case San Luis Potosí and Guanajuato, who have the highest salaries and have exceeded the living wage by more than 9 thousand pesos ”.
When carrying out the analysis of the salaries received by the public security forces in the states, the document “Living Wage for Police Officers in Mexico” also mentions that there was a state of force, until the third quarter of 2020, of 350 thousand elements .
Of them, 82.9 percent are men, while 17.1 percent are women. The average age is, in both sexes, between 30 and 45 years.
“12.14 percent of the police officers have a bachelor’s degree and 48.26 percent have completed high school, placing their average years of schooling at 12, a value that is higher than the national average of 10 years or the first year of high school. 76.06 percent of the elements are married or in common union, 18.52 percent single and the remaining 5.42 percent separated or widowed.
Regarding working conditions, 86.0 percent work formally while the remaining 14 percent do not have social security benefits. Of the total of formal, 35.35 percent is listed on the Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS); 49.34 percent in the Institute of Social Security and Services for State Workers (ISSSTE) and 15.30 percent in other institutions.