The American internet giant Google informed its more than 130,000 employees around the world who have the obligation to be vaccinated against Covid-19 to back to offices in October.
In a corporate blog post, Google CEO Sundar Pichai explained that the implementation of this requirement “will vary according to local conditions and regulations” and that it will not be enforced in a given region until vaccines are “widely available” in the same.
Pichai also delayed the mandatory return date to the offices, which was set for September but is now October 18, due to the increase in coronavirus cases worldwide due to the delta variant.
Although several governments and public entities in the United States have already announced the requirement that their employees receive the vaccine to return to work, Google is the first major technology company to do the same.
Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google. Reuters photo
In early July, some of the thousands of employees Google has in the US returned to the office for the first time since the start of the covid-19 pandemic last year, a voluntary and probationary return. Facing the autumn of the northern hemisphere.
The search engine firm already announced in early May that, once the pandemic is over, 80% of its staff will need to return to physical jobs, while the The remaining 20% will be able to telecommute permanently.
Those who must attend the offices will have to do so on a mandatory basis only a few days a week, while the other days they will be able to choose from where they will work.
Google was one of the first large Silicon Valley companies to close its offices and promote telecommuting to early last year.
Covid-19 accelerated the transition to remote work, which was already beginning to take place in the technology industry in recent years.
Online advertising: double the benefits
Alphabet, Google’s “mother” company. AP Photo
Google is having a good financial time. The increase in advertising investment on the Internet after the end of restrictions due to the pandemic in much of the world allowed Alphabet, Google’s parent company, skyrocket your profits to more than double.
The American multinational announced on Tuesday net profits of 36,455 million dollars between January and June 2021, which is 2.6 times more than the profits of the same period last year.
Regarding sales, in the first semester of its fiscal year, the firm based in Mountain View (California, USA) had a turnover of 117,194 million, 47% more than the 79,456 million entered in the first half of 2020.
For their part, Alphabet investors pocketed so far this year $ 54.32 per title, compared to July 20.16 last year.
The firm that owns the most used internet search engine in the world saw its turnover increase in all its business segments, while operating expenses fell significantly.
Alphabet’s main source of income is the sale of advertising space in its different online platforms, which accounts for more than 80% of total sales.
In turn, within the advertising segment, the income derived from ads through Google are the highest (35,845 million in the last quarter), although those from the YouTube video portal, also owned, are the ones that grow at a faster pace (84% year-on-year).
Apart from advertising, the company also raises money through its cloud computing platform, Google Cloud, which in the past three months contributed 4,628 million dollars to the coffers of the company.