Last August 14 in the Netherlands, in Groningen, a Volkswagen ID.3 it caught fire in a disruptive manner immediately after the end of the reload. The owner of the car had just put her son in the car and was about to get behind the wheel when she noticed that smoke was coming out of the car.
The woman promptly pulled her son out of ID.3 and called the fire brigade, as the flames spread rapidly. Unfortunately, due to the speed with which the fire engulfed the car, the brigade was unable to save the car. Everything inside it has been lost beyond recovery and also a car parked just behind (a first generation Nissan Leaf) it has been damaged, although only partially.
Volkswagen would have started, according to local media reports, to investigate what happened, as according to the driver’s testimony it would seem a fire that spread spontaneously. The act of plugging and unplugging the car has been done several times since the owner bought the ID.3, without any problems; not only that, there is a wide consensus among manufacturers and professionals on the fact that electric cars do not run the risk of catching fire more frequently than endothermic cars. So the interest in wanting to find out what could have happened is evident. No fires have been reported on the ID.3s in Europe before, so this may be the very first case.