There was a small fire in the police station in Motril belonging to the National Police; ie, where you go to get your TIE documents, for example.
The fire was caused by a short circuit in a transformer on the roof terrace around 14.30h, Wednesday afternoon.
According to the Chief of Police, Juan de Dios Piedra Martínez, they immediately activated the Emergency plan, which meant that everybody in the building had to be evacuated pending the arrival of the Motril fire service.
Within an hour the fire had been dealt with and staff members were allowed to reenter the building and occupy their posts.
The dense column of dark smoke was visible from many points around Motril causing much speculation until its origin became known.
(News: Motril, Costa Tropical, Granada, Andalucia)