A 43-year-old man died in a fire in his room at a pension (B&B) in the center of Granada.
The incident took place in the early hours of Thursday around 04.00h, in a pension on Santa Teresa Street (see photo), which is just off Trinity Square.
The fire, which only affected the victims room, caused a great deal of smoke. The victim had taken refuge under his bed but died from smoke inhalation and burns.
The emergency, call center received an alert and immediately despatched the fire service, National Police and an ambulance to the scene.
The pension occupies the third floor of a building and the room where the man was staying was very small. It is thought that the man fell asleep with a lit cigarette in his hand, which set light to the quilt. However, instead of making for the door or window, he tried to escape the smoke and flames by keeping to the floor and taking refuge under the bed.
The body was taken to the Institute of legal medicine in Granada where an autopsy will be carried out.
(News: City & Metropolitan Area, Granada, Andalucia)