Surely we all have an old mobile phone stored in a drawer at home. It is quite common practice to replace the mobile with a new one, but not get rid of the old one. Thus, many people, over time, have accumulated a large number of terminals that even sometimes they will not even remember. However, It may be that without knowing it in several households there are telephones that can be worth a large sum of money, even thousands of euros, according to an investigation by the British antiquities portal Loveantiques.com.
As explained from this web page, the most valuable vintage cell phones are usually the first model in a range, the ones with unusual design, the ones made in iconic movies or with large lockers or that for example they were made with luxury materials.
It seems incredible that a mobile phone can already be a relic, especially when, for example, in Spain a little over 20 years ago the mobile phone was still a product used by a very small part of the population. However, Will Thomas from LoveAntiques explains in the Daily Mail why they are already considered ‘vintage’ products: “As something most people use every day, it’s almost strange to think of cell phones as antiques, but as we describe in our ‘antech’ category, the pace of technological advances means that many of them are approaching that stage. “
“There are some weird and wonderful models, some I’m sure a lot of people nowadays wouldn’t even know they are phones that are worth a huge amount.” Thomas abounds, whose antiques portal has detailed a list of the most valuable mobile phones:
Top 10 Most Valuable Mobile Phones
- iPhone 1: Apple’s first iPhone hit the market in 2007. It was a complete revolution, an important milestone in the design and concept of what was believed to be a telephone. But not all iPhone 1s are worth thousands of euros, the winners are the pre-production prototypes, the ones that were made before the final model was released. They have been auctioned for more than 35,000 euros.
- Motorola 8000x: it is one of the first mobiles to hit the market. They took a whopping 10 hours to charge and in conversation the battery only lasted 30 minutes. It depends on the state of the terminal, its price ranges between 940 and 4,000 euros.
- Nokia 7700: Who has not had a Nokia ever? In Spain it became one of the most popular brands. However, the 7700 did not go on sale, only 20 models were made. It is a terminal hardly seen, that’s why they are paid between 1,100 and 2,300 euros by one of the 20 terminals that exist.
- Mobira Senator: is a very large mobile, launched by Nokia in 1981 and that he weighed 10 kilos. It was used inside cars. It is a true relic. Voucher between 940 and 2,300 euros.
- IBM Simon Personal: one of the first mobiles with touch screen. It went on the market in 1994, 50,000 units were sold in the six months it was on the market. The appearance of much smaller terminals made it disappear. Its price: between 940 and 2,300 euros.
- Nokia Sapphire 8800: a mobile considered luxury, it had several models, including one with 24-karat gold. Its screen was scratch resistant and its weight was 134 grams. Its value oscillates between 585 and 2,300 euros.
- Tecnophone PC105T: it was the world’s first pocket mobile phone. It was worth 2,200 euros when it was released in 1987. Now for a relic like this between 700 and 1,700 euros are paid.
- Orbitel Citiphone: it also went on sale in 1987. It was one of those ‘bricks’ so common at the time. Very hard to find, according to experts. For that, they are paid between 700 and 1,200 euros for a copy of this mobile.
- Ericsson R290: one of the first mobiles that it had coverage in the most remote and inaccessible places in the world. It was very precious at the time, back in 1999. It incorporated a folding antenna that was the same length as the telephone and had a built-in modem for data and fax communication. Now you can pay between 350 and 1,200 euros.
- Motorola StarTac Rainbow: it was one of the first terminals with a clamshell design. His multi-color version, which at the time only had one limited edition, it is now the most sought-after design. You pay between 120 and 470 euros for one of them.