From August 13 will be available on Disney Plus Tolkien, the film focused on JRR Tolkien, the writer of the saga The Lord of the Rings. The film tells the writer’s unknown story, from an early age to the experience of the First World War. Let’s find out the plot and the cast together.
Tolkien is a film from 2019 directed by Dome Karukoski and available on Disney Plus from August 13, 2021. The film follows the events of JRR Tolkien during the younger and lesser-known years of the famous writer of the saga The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and the Silmarillon.
Tolkien: the plot
The film initially follows the writer JRR Tolkien during his youth, starting from the traumatic experience of untimely death of the father. Later, he tells of the passion for ancient languages and the love reciprocated for Edith Bratt, his future wife.
Read also: Disney Plus: the news of August 2021
The story tells of his artistic inspiration and the friendship that bound him to a group of poets and dreamers marginalized at school, to the horrors of the trenches of the WWI.
In the role of JR R Tolkien we find Nicholas Hoult, while Edith Bratt is interpreted by Lily Collins. The two as young are respectively played by Harry Gilby And Mimi Keene.
Colm Meaney plays the role of Tolkien’s legal guardian up to his 21 years, father Francis Morgan, and the rest of the cast is made up of:
- Derek Jacobi in the role of prof. Joseph Wright;
- Anthony Boyle in the role of Geoffrey Bache Smith, which as a boy is played by Adam Bregman;
- Patrick Gibson in the role of Robert Q. Gilson, which as a boy is played by Albie Marber;
- Tom Glynn-Carney in the role of Christopher Wiseman, which as a boy is played by Ty Tennant;
- Craig Roberts in the role of soldier Sam Hodges
- Pam Ferris in the role of Ms Faulkner
- James MacCallum in the role of Hilary Tolkien, which as a boy is played by Guillermo Bedward;
- Laura Donnelly in the role of Mabel Tolkien;
- Genevieve O’Reilly in the role of Mrs. Smith;
- Owen Teale in the role of Principal Gilson.