Minister of Justice details security operation and says elections will be safe; 500 thousand agents will work
The Minister of Justice and Public Security, Anderson Torres, said this Saturday (Oct. “difficult to fulfill” but that the security forces will be “attentive” to compliance with the standard.
In this year’s election, the TSE (Superior Electoral Court) decided to prohibit the carrying of weapons within a radius of 100 meters from polling places. The exception is for members of security forces on duty. The Court also vetoed CACs (hunters, shooters and collectors) from transporting weapons and ammunition across the country on election day, the day before and the day after.
According to Torres, so far there has been no record of arrest for failure to comply with this rule. He criticized the adoption of restrictions. “Before creating rules we have to be careful”he said. “Imagine fulfilling that in the number of polls and voting points”.
The minister presented data on Operation Elections, a joint action by federal and local security agencies coordinated by the Ministry of Justice and Public Security.
For the minister, the ban on weapons does not change the security planning for the election. He said that it is not possible to foresee armed clashes in the country. “We’re not going to a war, we’re going to an election” declared.
Election security is up to each state. Governors sent the plan to the Ministry of Justice. Torres said the election will be safe and smooth.
“Tomorrow we will have secure elections. People can go to the polls with peace of mind to vote. The planning is very well done.”declared.
Since August 15, when the electoral campaign began, the PF (Federal Police) and PRF (Federal Highway Police) have already seized around R$3 million in cash for electoral crimes. Of this total, around R$ 1 million was seized since last Monday (September 26).
About 500,000 security agents will work across the country. They will have 5 thousand vehicles, 3 aircraft and 9 vessels, which will be on standby.
The secretary of Integrated Operations at the ministry, Alfredo Carrijo, said that the agency’s intelligence sector did not detect any specific alert about violent movements in opposition to the election result.
Election monitoring activities at the CICCN (Integrated Center for National Command and Control) began on Monday (September 26). The initiative brings together members of the PF (Federal Police), PRF (Federal Highway Police), Ministry of Defense, Abin (Brazilian Intelligence Agency), and representatives of the TSE (Superior Electoral Court), civil and military police of the States and the District. Federal and public security secretariats.
Coordination is carried out by the Ministry of Justice.
For the operation, the PF mobilized all its personnel. According to the corporation, on the day of the election, agents will work together with the local security forces in the electoral registers, polling places and counting of votes, public roads and transport stations.
According to the PF, the action will take place in the monitoring of possible electoral crimes (exalting the polls, illegal transport of voters, vote buying, among others), peaceful or violent demonstrations, blocking of roads, brawls, threats and attacks, storms or flooding and power outages in polling and counting places.
#Difficult #comply #Torres #gun #ban