With the Delta variant “we must reach over 90%” of vaccinated “for a real victory” over the virus. The virologist Roberto Burioni writes it on Twitter, replying to the US scientist Eric Topol who, posting the graph of the surge of infections recorded in Israel with the Delta variant, comments: “It shouldn’t have been like this. Cases dropped to zero in June after one of the most aggressive vaccination campaigns in the world, then came Delta “.
But for Burioni “the current picture is not surprising” because in reality, the virologist emphasizes, “there are less than 60% of Israelis fully vaccinated”. In Israel “they started very aggressively (the vaccination campaign, ed) but leaving more than 40% of the population susceptible to a contagious variant like Delta”.
In any case, Burioni stresses that “the serious infection remains low” and that “this is the important fact”.