E.x film producer Harvey Weinstein, who is serving a long prison term for rape and sexual assault, is transferred from New York to Los Angeles. Prosecutors in California want to try Weinstein on charges made by five women there.
The 69-year-old Weinstein was handed over to the authorities on Tuesday morning (local time) from a maximum security prison in the north of the US state of New York for transfer to California, said a spokesman for the prison administration according to “Variety”. He could appear for a court hearing in Los Angeles this week, his defense attorney Mark Werksman told the Los Angeles Times.
Last year in California, five women had brought forward allegations of alleged sexual assault against the former film mogul. These are said to have occurred between 2004 and 2013. The Los Angeles District Attorney has filed charges of rape and sexual assault. If found guilty, he faces life imprisonment.
Sentenced to 23 years in prison
In February 2020 in New York the “Pulp Fiction” producer was found guilty of rape and sexual assault by a jury and sentenced to 23 years in prison. He is serving this sentence in a prison in New York state.
The conviction marked a milestone in American legal history. In the sensational case, the jury believed the testimony of several women, contrary to Weinstein’s pledges of innocence and despite the lack of evidence. Weinstein, who denies all allegations, has appealed his conviction.
A total of around 90 women, including well-known actresses such as Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek and Gwyneth Paltrow, accused Weinstein of sexual harassment or violence. The news of the allegations triggered the worldwide #MeToo movement against sexual violence against women in autumn 2017.