Bad Bunny is doing unthinkable things. The Puerto Rican He is the most influential Latin star on the current music scene, in fact this It is backed by an achievement: being the first No. 1 in the history of Billboard with an album entirely in Spanish. This volume of sales and growth has been rewarded in an economic way that makes the singer begin to consider his career not only as that of a musician, but as an entrepreneur and investor also, a project that has not been made to wait at all.
Benito Antonio Martínez, how is your real name, He was announced months ago as co-owner of one of the leading basketball teams in Puerto Rico, his native country: Los Cangrejeros de Santurce. This news would make the entity jump to the media and front pages around the world for said movement, a process that A short time later, he would put them in the spotlight again after the arrival of a national player with a long NBA career such as JJ Barea. In this process, we have seen how the influence of a figure such as that of the urban artist Bad Bunny is a brand in itself, which, using the correct arguments, can lead to madness like the incursion of a new team, or of a new property in the most important league in the world such as the NBA.
Why could Bad Bunny think of reaching the NBA?
First of all, we must explain that There is no information about the process that would lead the Cangrejeros or Bad Bunny to the participation of the NBA, but these are some of the reasons that may suggest a project with these names linked to North American basketball in the future:
- The project of a 3rd conference: Not too long ago, there was talk of the intention of major European teams to participate in a new NBA conference To take a step beyond what could be the Euroleague. In that list, teams like the Real Madrid or CSKA Moscow but also teams of Mexico, for instance. If there is something clear regarding this idea, it is that if the NBA seeks a distinctive profile of this new conference, it would be an elite and global league, which would be helped a lot by the entry of a team like Santurce’s with the media support that has behind.
- The condition of Puerto Rico: The island is recognized as TUnincorporated United States erritorium, a geopolitical condition that would allow us to think about the acceptance of a team from this territory in case the project was attractive enough to add a new dimension to the expansion strategy that the league proposes itself.
- The Canadian precedent: In case the political argument of Puerto Rico was more of a break than a nexus, the team’s proposal line could be supported in the cases of Vancouver or Toronto, that have hosted franchises NBA despite being territories that are outside the USA.
- The attraction of the brand ‘Bad Bunny’: the singer himself is a label that attracts a large youth population and influences new generations. This factor can be decisive when it comes to attracting new investors who give the structure the economic dimension to present a proposal to NBA. In the same way, the basketball association could use a media figure such as the artist to take its product to a booming and hitherto unexplored niche market.
- The NBA’s Global Address: The largest league in the world is a real factory to revalue the product it has, and one of the current lines is to exhibit all over the world the active values it has, the NBA Global Games, in fact, they endorse it by taking regular league games to pavilions around the world. Well, if the league wants to continue growing in this section, few potential projects (apart from the great teams of Europe) are juicier than one of this style.
- A league that can be too small: The Crabbers they seem like a remarkable project for a minor league like Puerto Rico. This factor could be decisive for the team to apply to a more competitive league to meet new challenges.
- The singer’s relationship with the NBA: Bad bunny is a declared lover of the NBA, his constant references in songs support it. This could imply that the artist could be interested in being part of the colossal business that is the league. In addition, the singer has shown in networks his good relationship with superstars of the NBA, What Lebron or Doncic, a situation that would provide support from within the structure.
- Change of headquarters of some franchises: There has been talk of the moving of some teams such as that of Minnesota, and Bad bunny It could take advantage of this circumstance to fully enter a league that is always open to listening to proposals of this kind.
- Project in Santurce with former NBAs: The current project has players who went through the league as they are the same JJ Barea, Anthony Bennett or Thomas Robinson. This policy of movements suggests that the idea is to bring younger and more important players from the NBA every day to end up getting a roster that can choose to compete against the teams in the league.
Another possible strategy
If the idea of leading a team from his country to the best league in the world were too utopian for the singer, tWe can also believe that this co-ownership can be a first contact with the world of basketball, oriented to in the future, the urban artist is part of one of the 30 current franchises in some way, an idea backed by the precedents of Justin Timberlake, who is a shareholder in the Memphis Grizzlies, or Sir Elton John, who owned Watford, an English football club, for 26 years.