Sometimes relevant news disappears in press releases that are too boring. We don’t want to withhold this from you. In a preview of Stellantis (parent company of Peugeot, Fiat and Opel, among others) on the electric future, the group briefly drops in a summary that Alfa Romeo will become Alfa e-Romeo from 2024. Unfortunately, there is no further explanation, but it seems that the Italian brand is taking a different path.
Stellantis consists of fourteen car brands, all of which will get something with electrification. In total, the group is investing 30 billion euros in the electrical future. They are building, among other things, four electric platforms with a range of 500 to 800 kilometers. Important to know: in 2024 they want to get rid of nickel and cobalt in the batteries and in 2026 the dreamed solid state battery (weighs less, goes far). Plug-in hybrids will also be included.
The silly slogans
All excellent plans from the group, only someone has decided that all brands should have some kind of statement that matches the plans. These spells are pretty silly to say the least. They are probably not the new slogans of the brands, so that makes a difference. We still like the one from Dodge, by the way. These are all spells for each of the fourteen brands.
● Abarth – ‘Heating Up People, But Not the Planet’
● Alfa Romeo – ‘From 2024, Alfa Becomes Alfa e-Romeo’
● Chrysler – ‘Clean Technology for a New Generation of Families’
● Citroën – ‘Citroën Electric: Well-Being for All!’
● Dodge – ‘Tear Up the Streets… Not the Planet’
● DS Automobiles – ‘The Art of Travel, Magnified’
● Fiat – ‘It’s Only Green When It’s Green for All’
● Jeep – ‘Zero Emission Freedom’
● Lancia – ‘The Most Elegant Way to Protect the Planet’
● Maserati – ‘The Best in Performance Luxury, Electrified’
● Opel – ‘Green is the New Cool’
● Peugeot – ‘Turning Sustainable Mobility into Quality Time’
● Aries – ‘Built to Serve a Sustainable Planet’
● Commercial Vehicles – ‘The Global Leader in e-Commercial Vehicles’
Alfa Romeo’s statement seems to be the most concrete: in 2024 Alfa Romeo will be electric. That is quite a big change to make in three years. On the other hand: they don’t have many cars at the moment. Incidentally, this does not mean that it concerns a fully electric future, a range of plug-in hybrids and electric cars is of course also possible. For now there are no reports that the Tonale has been scrapped, this is a plug-in hybrid SUV. In addition, there would be a Brennero, this could be an electric SUV of the size Mokka. Whether they will really change the Alfa Romeo name to Alfa e-Romeo, we don’t know.