To tell a Grand Prix you can use analysis and rankings, numbers and words. Images that converge in the most beautiful one: the podium celebrations, where the riders become children again and are covered in champagne. Reminding us that this, in the end, is a sport, and as such it should be interpreted: seriously, but having fun. A new format starts from the podium and from this spirit, where the three promoted and three rejected of the various F1 Grand Prix will be chosen: this is the turn of Abu Dhabi. And, since it is almost Christmas and we are all better (or more likely less bastards, you choose), I have included some bonus track, hoping you like them.
F1 | Abu Dhabi GP 2021, the podium of the promoted
|1. Max & Lewis|
|2. Nicholas Latifi||3. Kimi Raikkonen|
1. Max & Lewis. Still them, always them, only them. The first and last lap to death, in the middle 56 laps of pace, tactics and waiting. Verstappen wins, who draws yet another wild card in the second half of the season (Spa, Sochi, Interlagos, Jeddah, Abu Dhabi) as a ‘compensation’ from Baku, Silverstone and Hungaroring. Samples have a capital C in several words, on the other hand: Hamilton is no exception, the difference is that this year fate has turned its back on him when it mattered most. Anyway, what a sight, what a driving quality. They are not doing anything wrong and this time they avoid the pantomimes of Jeddah. Verstappen knows how to win, Hamilton knows how to lose much better than his team. With the hope of reliving a similar duel soon, thank you.
2. Nicholas Latifi. The real great protagonist. Anonymity in power, the hero of those who live in darkness. It doesn’t matter if you look like Tarvisio Boscoverde’s baker: you can decide the fate of a World Cup. And you do it in style, first by staying behind that white quadricycle we insist on calling Haas, then squashing yourself against the wall. All this betraying those who kept you afloat with the engine for two years, otherwise Williams, especially in 2020, was probably only good for the race direction of the Tour de France.
3. Kimi Raikkonen. In the silence, without noise, Iceman leaves the scene. Not even a donut, whether the solid Sauber ever leave parts of the car in the stands. Withdrawal from the race, definitive withdrawal. A sad farewell, which Kimi did not deserve. Then maybe, if he had reached the finish line, he would have just said “Bye“, Who cares.
Bonus track 1: Sergio Perez. Find someone who protects you as well as Checo he does with Max. As soon as he sees Hamilton becomes Gentile in ’82, even a mustache grows out. I propose to put it on the Dutch flag.
Bonus track 2: Bottas’ dip in the pool. So, in order. Tear-wrenching helmet to celebrate five years of Mercedes and ‘brotherhood’ with Hamilton. Qualifies (badly) on a car with an old engine. In the race he goes ahead with his seat, puts on his glasses, wears a flat cap and even plays Candy Crush if the light is red. He ends up behind cars that in theory he should round, his teammate loses the title on the last lap, his team also protests for Hurst’s goal in ’66, and how does he react? He takes a bath in the pool. Mentality.
– Pardz # 33 ☬ ਪਰਦੀਪ (@pardz_king) December 12, 2021
F1 | Abu Dhabi GP 2021, the podium of those who failed
|1. Race “Direction”|
Direction Alfa Romeo. But yes, let’s close with a flourish. Two retreats due to technical problems to seal a year to remember. Sorry for Raikkonen and Giovinazzi, who deserved a final and a career start in a more serious team.
Direction George Russell. Yesterday was not the day of happy goodbyes. Said of Giovinazzi, Raikkonen and Bottas, even Russell remains on foot. Fortunately, one might say, because otherwise he would never have been framed. Now, it’s okay that Williams is Williams and that his is still a full eight season, but since he was announced at Mercedes he has hit the spot. How will we put it in 2022? On the nose, 44 looks hungry. The real Russell needs to come back otherwise we will have a Bottas 2.0, more talented but equally sparring partner.
1. Race “Direction”. It was not easy to win three of the last four weekends of the World Championship, but the FIA filters bad mood for not having created a mess in Qatar as well: it would have been legendary poker. Instead no legend, let’s be content with having written history. Leaving aside all the details of the International Sporting Code (here you will find the focus), article 15.3 e) says that the race director has absolute power in the use of the Safety Car. Translated: there may be all the rules in the world, but he decides why yes. Yesterday Michael Masi did not referee but awarded the World Cup with a decision that goes against article 48.12 of the Sporting Code, all to close the championship without the Safety Car. It is clear that a potential appeal will never be accepted: the FIA will never admit to having distorted the last race of the World Cup, and indeed will defend the indefensible Masi, who has given Juventus less security than Boumsong. A continuous, unnerving sensation of improvisation interrupted by moments of comedy like those of Spa and Jeddah. There is no consistency, yes, but shrewdness is also missing: I know it’s easy to talk later, but it was enough to stop the race after Latifi’s accident. In Saudi Arabia it gave Red flag even if the vacuum cleaner went by on the second floor, Yas Marina sent the Safety Car with a car in the middle of the track. Stop the race, five laps of hell with the same tire, and may the best man win. Would he receive criticism? Likely. Would it have guaranteed a fair battle? Surely.
Bonus track 1: Ferrari wall. Explanations are sought on the strategy he has put in place Leclerc at the end of a DRS train, however, immediately behind Ricciardo. Considering he was ahead of Tsunoda (who later finished fourth), a top-5 was possible with everything that happened in the final. Regret for not being able to ruin Sainz’s race as well, but for that there is the whole of 2022.
Bonus track 2: radio teams with Masi. One complains that Hamilton does not make the position, the other cries because they have put the Safety Car on him, both have been whining for a year with the only hope of gaining some advantage. The only positive aspect of the end of this World Cup is that we will pass the holidays without hearing the voices of Wolff and Horner: reassure children and grandchildren who were afraid of finding them as well in Santas.
What are yours? And above all, do you want another podium for the 2021 season?
#Abu #Dhabi #podium #FormulaPassionit