The fall in the valuation of the image of Alberto Fernandez, in which even the pollsters closest to the Government coincide, now shows a complex face for the President. According to the latest survey by the consulting firm Opinion, a sector of the voters of the Frente de Todos have a particularly critical view of the president, with Cristina Kirchner in the background and even equating him with Mauricio Macri.
The survey of Opinion (a pioneering firm in online measurements and that now does work -among others- for the Government of the City), included this month 1,800 cases. From the start, the report details the main conclusions:
– “The positive evaluation of Alberto Fernández’s management stops his fall, and stands at around 42%. However, today there are more Argentines who are dissatisfied with the national government.”
President Alberto Fernández at the tribute to the victims of Covid. Photo Presidency.
– “The country’s problems agenda is headed by socioeconomic issues: inflation, poverty and unemployment. Among JxC voters, problems related to corruption and inflation are exacerbated. On the other hand, among the ruling party voters, the focus is on in poverty and unemployment. “
– “In this sense, the perceptions on the progress and evolution of the economy are not favorable at all, maintaining a negative trend.”
– “There are no significant changes in the image of the main leaders. As in the last measurements, Rodríguez Larreta and Vidal are the two best-positioned leaders, with a favorable image balance.”
The uncomfortable comparison with Macri
Like the rest of the consulting firms, Opinion has been asking its respondents how they evaluate the “current economic situation”. And the red is predictably deep: the 72% do it negatively.
But the most interesting thing appears when you inquire about this critical group.“What is the main reason why the country is in this economic situation?”, question Opinion and offers these options:
– The mismanagement of the Alberto Fernández government.
– The coronavirus pandemic.
– The mismanagement of the government of Mauricio Macri.
– Quarantine and isolation measures.
– Does not know.
At a general level, among all those surveyed, 56% blame the current management and only 14% that of Cambiemos.
But perhaps the most striking thing is when the results are given by political affinity, and 21% of the voters of the Frente de Todos also point against Fernández’s mode of administration, against 33% who point to Macri and 24% to the pandemic.
It differs from what the voters of Together for Change express, where the crack is much more marked: 82% blame the current President and only 1% the former.
Fall in the image and Cristina in the background
Another chart that graphs the fall in the President’s valuation is the classic discharge / disapproval measurement. When you see the evolution, the peak of March / April 2020 and the abrupt fall since then is very marked.
Valuable data appears again when results are detailed according to the vote of the respondents in 2019.
– Among Juntos por el Cambio voters, Fernández reached 58% approval in April of last year and now fell to 8%.
– And among K voters, it reached a near perfect 99% approval also in April 2020 and dropped to 78%. While still high, he lost 21 points.
An advocate for the President’s management might say that it is not a one-man government. And more: for many, who makes the main decisions is not the president but his vice. But this opinion is not shared by the voters of the FdT.
When Opinion makes this point about the management of power (“Who takes the main measures of the Government?”), these results are given:
– At a general level, 44% believe that Cristina does it, 30% Alberto, 17% both equally and 9% do not know.
– Among JxC voters, 75% believe Cristina does it, 7% Alberto, 14% both equally and 4% do not know.
– But Among the voters of the FdT, 56% believe that Alberto does, 18% Cristina, 19% both equally and 6% do not know.